|Height||176 cm (5'9")|
|Weight||62 kg (137 lbs)|
|Relatives|| Unnamed Father
Tomoe Oreki (Sister)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
|“||I don't do anything I don't have to. What I have to do, I do quickly.||”|
Hōtarō Oreki (折木 奉太郎, Oreki Hōtarō) is the main protagonist of the series. He is a student at Kamiyama High School in class 1-B, and a member of the mystery solving Classics Club. Despite being a passive character who prioritizes energy conservation above all else, Hōtarō possesses brilliant deduction skills and oftens finds himself aiding the ever curious Eru Chitanda.
Sometime after Oreki joins Kamiyama High School, he receives a letter from his older sister, Tomoe, who was in India at the time, enjoining Oreki to become a member of the Classical Club which was on its way to being shut down. Having been a former member, Tomoe refused to let the club be closed and Hōtarō obeyed her wish, though he originally had no desire to join a club. It is at this point that Hōtarō would meet Eru Chitanda, the only other member of the Classical Club. It would not be until after Hōtarō joins that the club would see the additions of Satoshi and Mayaka as well. Hōtarō has been in the same class and school as Mayaka since their first grade in elementary school, and the two would later meet Satoshi in middle school.
Hōtarō Oreki has a very passive, calm and seemingly apathetic attitude. Along with his passive demeanor, Oreki seems to always "conserve energy" and never uses energy unless absolutely necessary; thus he comes off as lazy. As another result of his attitude, Oreki talks little and seldomly shouts or gets angry, though he does appear to get irritated often, and Oreki also rarely smiles and never laughed in the series. Oreki is surprisingly wise and clever and as such, he's unbelievably good at solving mysteries and seems to be able to always find a solution if he gives it enough thought. In addition, Oreki has been shown to enjoy reading manga.
Oreki is fairly tall, standing at 176 cm (5'9"), he also weighs 62 kg (137 lbs). He has unruly short taupe-brown colored hair, with bangs that reach just below his eyes. Hōtarō's eyes are asparagus-green in color. Oreki is principally seen in the Kamiyama High School uniform. When not in his uniform, he dresses in a rather neutral fashion. Fukube Satoshi once said that if Oreki wasn't so lazy, he would be popular because of his looks.
Hōtarō's eccentric older sister who requested Hōtarō join the Classics Club; doing so both to change Hōtarō's lifestyle and to preserve the Classics Club.
Hōtarō has been friends with Satoshi since middle school. They have a close relatonship which is shown by Satoshi calling Hōtarō by his first name. Though he tries to supress it, Satoshi is jealous of Hōtarō because of their drastic difference in talent. Whereas Satoshi spends a lot of energy to make other people happy, he has great difficulty solving mysteries on his own and is clearly outshined by Hōtarō. Though they are close friends, this envy Satoshi feels causes him to lose his temper with Hōtarō easily and manifests in a desire to see him fail.
Hōtarō maintains a friendly relationship with Chitanda and usually follows her whims although they differ from his energy-saving lifestyle. He is easily dragged into Chitanda's bouts of curiosity, which he finds he is unable to ever ignore. It is heavily implied that Oreki has a crush on her, as he is seen fantasizing about her several times throughout the series; however, he interprets this as either an annoyance or a disturbance to his lifestyle, especially around Satoshi and Mayaka. However, he later realizes that he does indeed have feelings for Chitanda.
Hōtarō and Satoshi have known Mayaka since their middle school years. Kind words are rarely ever exchanged between them and most of their conversations are laced with sarcasm. Despite that, the two do seem to consider each other friends to a certain degree and Hōtarō appears to truly care for Mayaka as he was willing to get mad at Satoshi for her sake.
For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery: Hōtarō Oreki
- "I don't do anything I don't have to. What I have to do, I do quickly."
- "I'm not against socializing, so long as it's not tiring."
- "I can live without your love."
- "The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Hōtarō has a habit of holding his front bangs with crossed arms whenever he is in deep thought. Certain characters have caught onto this habit.
- He doesn't care about his rank in the school. When he was ranked 175 out of the 350 students, he considered it a school 'prank' that he was actually ranked right in the middle.
- Due to the lack of exercise and other related activities, he gets carsick easily. This is shown in Episode 7 when he got carsick although it's only been an hour and a half of travel.
- Before he entered the Classics Club, he already had some interest in reading. As a proof, He has a bookcase in his room which he shares with his sister.
- He's in class 1-B.
- He attended Kaguraya middle school.
- When he is angry or upset, he usually shakes his left leg.
- It is implied that he might be able to reach (or actually already has) the same level of deductive reasoning ability and intellect as his sister's (who was implied to have been on top of things since Episode 1). This was during the time he tried to compete with Chitanda, Eru to prove that anyone can just make up any theory for any situation. During the said scene he was able to completely unravel a mystery regarding the school announcement made after-class hours, using only the announcement itself and the fact that he saw an article about fake bills going around town. Surprisingly, he is able to completely solve the mystery (albeit he was treating it as a game and was biding his time slowly, probably due to his nature of conserving energy.) as shown when the next morning, he reads on the newspaper the very same conclusion he came up with. It may possibly just be his lack of motivation and self-awareness that keeps his true abilities from coming out.