- This article is about 2012 anime. For novel by Honobu Yonezawa, see Koten-bu series; for ongoing manga by Task Ohna, see Hyouka (manga).
Hyouka (氷菓, lit. "ice cream") is a 22-episode anime produced by Kyoto Animation and directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto originally aired from April 22, 2012 to September 16, 2012. The first episode premiered on April 14, 2012 at a special event at Kadowaka Cinema, Shinjuku, Tokyo. An OVA episode What Everyone Needs was released on January 16, 2013.
"Everyone wants to live their high school life to make many good memories". This high school student motto and rose-colored lifestyle doesn't interest Hōtarō Oreki. He doesn't want to "waste" his energy on relationships, sports or some other activity. Instead he wants is to "save his energy" by all means and spend his high school time as plain as possible.
But his life changes when he receives a letter from his older sister Tomoe Oreki in which she wants him to enter the Kamiyama High School Classic Literature Club (Classics Club), which was in danger of getting abolished as all previous members have graduated. Being afraid to refuse his sister Hōtarō does so, thinking that this won't change anything in his life as he expected to be single club member. But he finds out that he was wrong - when he enters the clubroom, he sees a beautiful girl, standing near the windows and looking outside. She notices Hōtarō and introduces herself. She is Eru Chitanda from 1-A class, and a member of Classics Club. After some time, his old friends Satoshi Fukube and Mayaka Ibara join this club as well.
They begin to investigate a case that occurred 45 years ago. Hints of the mystery are buried in an old issues of anthology called Hyouka published by the Classics Club in the 1960s.
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura (Japanese); Adam Gibbs (English)
- The main protagonist of Hyouka. He is a passive and calm boy who seems to always "conserve energy" and never exerts effort on anything unless absolutely necessary. He only joins the Classic Literature Club at the request of his older sister, Tomoe Oreki, to stop it from being dissolved. However, Hōtarō is good at solving mysteries with help of his brilliant logical deductions. Despite of Hōtarō's "energy conservation" policy he can't ignore Eru's requests because she is "someone he can't ignore," hinting that he may have feelings for her. Because of Eru's influence, lifestyle of Hōtarō began to change towards more active, "rose-colored" high school life.
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō (Japanese); Madeleine Morris (English)
- An inquisitive and energetic girl who joins the Classic Literature Club for personal reasons. Eru's catchphrase is "I'm curious!" Although she is a top student grades in school, Eru is weak at solving mysteries and therefore relies on Oreki's reasoning abilities. A daughter of wealthy farmers, she is very polite, ladylike and well-bred girl. Whenever a mystery is brought to her attention, she is unable to stop thinking about it. Eru greatly admires Oreki's talents and skills and fully trusts him.
- Voiced by: Daisuke Sakaguchi (Japanese); Dallas Reid (English)
- Houtarou's friend who joins the Classic Literature Club with him. He has very good memory, which allows him to call himself a "database". However, he does not have logical thinking skills, therefore he is unable to solve mysteries like Houtarou. Satoshi likes to mock Hōtarō's "energy consevation" lifestyle. He is close to Mayaka.
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano (Japanese); Jill Harris (English)
- The fourth member of the Classic Literature Club. She attended the same middle school as Hōtarō and Satoshi. Doesn't get along well with Hōtarō. Although sometimes she is impulsive and stubborn, in general she is responsible and nice girl. Her hobby is reading manga, as well as creating it by herself. Mayaka has had a crush on Satoshi since middle school, however, until recent times, he always brushed her feelings aside with a joke.
- HYOUKA: The Complete Series - Part One - BD/DVD Combo
- HYOUKA: The Complete Series - Part Two - BD/DVD Combo